Dr Susan (Suz) Luong
Phone: +61 2 4221 5385
- Research Fellow
- Bachelor of Applied Chemistry-Forensic Science (Hons) (University of Technology, Sydney, 2009)
- PhD in Forensic Toxicology (University of Technology, Sydney, 2014)
My background is in analytical and organic chemistry. Prior to joining CAS, my research was based in the life sciences area, and focussed on the development of methods for the detection and quantification of drugs and drug analogues in biological matrices. These methods included: gas chromatography and liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry, high resolution mass spectrometry, 1D and 2D nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. A significant portion of the research involved the synthesis and structural elucidation of novel markers, conducting stability studies and proposing the mechanisms involved in the formation of the organic compounds. Working in industry, I was fortunate enough to collaborate with scientists from a vast range of backgrounds including environmental and residue chemistry.
I was very interested in the archaeological chemistry research strand starting up at CAS and joined the ARC Laureate project team led by Prof Bert Roberts in February, 2015. My role is to develop methods for the isolation, detection and quantification of organic residues (including but not limited to lipids, amino acids, proteins and poisons) found on stone tools and the surrounding sediment recovered from key sites in central Asia, Southeast Asia and northern Australia.
Out of Asia: unique insights into human evolution and interactions using frontier technologies in archaeological science
- S. Luong, E. Hayes, E. Flannery, T. Sutikna, M.W. Tocheri, E.W. Saptomo, Jatmiko, R.G. Roberts. 2017. Development and application of a comprehensive analytical workflow for the quantification of non-volatile low molecular weight lipids on archaeological stone tools. Analytical Methods. 9, 4349–4362.
- D.S Wenholz, S. Luong, M. Philp, S.L Forbes, B.H Stuart, O.H Drummer and S. Fu. 2016. A study to model the post-mortem stability of 4-MMC, MDMA and BZP in putrefying remains. For. Sci. Int. 265, 54-60.
- S. Luong, U. Kuzhiumparambil and S. Fu. 2015. Elucidation of markers for monitoring morphine and its analogs in urine adulterated with pyridinium chlorochromate. Bioanalysis. 7, 2283-2295.
- S. Luong, A.T. Ung, J. Kalman and S. Fu. 2014. Transformation of codeine and codeine-6-glucuronide to opioid analogues by urinary adulteration with pyridinium chlorochromate: potential issue for workplace drug testing. Rapid Commun. Mass. sp. 28, 1-12.
- S. Fu, S. Luong, A. Pham, N. Charlton, U. Kuzhiumparambil. 2014. Bioanalysis of urine samples after manipulation by oxidising chemicals: technical considerations. Bioanalysis. 6 (11), 1543-1561.
- S. Luong and S. Fu. 2014. Detection and identification of 2-nitro-morphine and 2-nitro-morphine-6-glucuronide in nitrite adulterated urine specimens containing morphine and its glucuronides. Drug Test. Anal. 6, 277-287.
- S. Luong, R. Shimmon, J. Hook and S. Fu. 2012. 2-Nitro-6-monoacetylmorphine: potential marker for monitoring the presence of 6-monoacetylmorphine in urine adulterated with potassium nitrite. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 403, 2057-2063.
- S. Luong and C. Roux. 2009. Marks or impressions of manufactured items. Wiley Encyclopedia of Forensic Science.