Dr Bo Li
BSc in Geochemistry (University of Sciences & Technology of China, 2003), PhD in Quaternary Geochronology (University of Hong Kong, 2008)
Phone: +61 2 4221 3817
- Senior Research Fellow
- ARC Future Fellow
BSc in Geochemistry (University of Sciences & Technology of China, 2003);
PhD in Quaternary Geochronology (University of Hong Kong, 2008)
Key Research Interests
- Development and improvement of luminescence dating techniques
- Application of luminescence dating in geological and archaeological studies
- Luminescence properties of quartz and feldspar from sediments
The luminescence dating technique plays important roles in many fields in the earth and archaeological sciences, and consequently I am involved into close collaboration with leading Australian and international researchers. I am currently running a project funded by the ARC Future Fellowship, entitled “Next-generation luminescence dating techniques for Earth and archaeological science applications” (ARC Future Fellowship, 2015–2018), working on dating various archaeological sites in Africa, Europe and Asia that contain important human fossils and artefacts.
- van den Bergh, G.D., Li, B., Brumm, A., Grün, R., Yurnaldi, D., Moore, M.W., Kurniawan, I., Setiawan, R., Aziz, F., Roberts, R.G., Suyono, Storey, M., Setiabudi, E., Morwood, M.J., 2016. Earliest hominin occupation of Sulawesi, Indonesia. Nature 529, 208-211.
- Sutikna, T., Tocheri, M.W., Morwood, M.J., Saptomo, E.W., Jatmiko, Awe, R.D., Wasisto, S., Westaway, K.E., Aubert, M., Li, B., Zhao, J.-x., Storey, M., Alloway, B.V., Morley, M.W., Meijer, H.J.M., van den Bergh, G.D., Grün, R., Dosseto, A., Brumm, A., Jungers, W.L., Roberts, R.G., 2016. Revised stratigraphy and chronology for Homo floresiensis at Liang Bua in Indonesia. Nature, in press.
- Li, B., Roberts, R.G., Jacobs, Z., Li, S.H., 2015. Potential of establishing a ‘global standardised growth curve’(gSGC) for optical dating of quartz from sediments. Quaternary Geochronology 27, 94-104.
- Li, B., Roberts, R.G., Jacobs, Z., Li, S.H., Guo, Y.J., 2015. Construction of a ‘global standardised growth curve’(gSGC) for infrared stimulated luminescence dating of K-feldspar. Quaternary Geochronology 27, 119-130.
- Li, B., Roberts, R.G., Jacobs, Z., 2014. A single-aliquot luminescence dating procedure for K-feldspar based on the dose-dependent MET-pIRIR signal sensitivity. Quaternary Geochronology 20, 51–64
- Li, B., Jacobs, Z., Roberts, R.G., Li, S.H., 2013. Extending the age limit of luminescence dating using the dose-dependent sensitivity of MET-pIRIR signals from K-feldspar. Quaternary Geochronology 17, 55–67.
- Li, B., Li, S.H., 2012. Determining the cooling age using luminescence-thermochronology. Tectonophyiscs 580, 242–248.
- Li, B., Li, S.H., 2011. Luminescence dating of K-feldspar from sediments: A protocol without fading correction. Quaternary Geochronology 6, 468–479.
- Li, B., Li, S.H.,Wintle,A. G., Zhao, H., 2008.Isochron dating of sediments using luminescence of K-feldspar grains. Journal of Geophysical Research-Earth Surface, 113, F02026, doi:10.1029/2007JF000900.
Potential Honours and PHD Topics
PhD scholarships are available in the School of Earth & Environmental Sciences associated my ARC Future Fellowship. The topics include:
- Archaeology: Chronologies for key archaeological sites in China
- Geology: Application of luminescence dating techniques to study Middle and Late Pleistocene climate and environmental changes and neotectonic activities
- Methodology: methodological advances in extending luminescence dating limits based on K-feldspar and quartz; Single-grain pIRIR dating of K-feldspar.